My sisters gave me a book for Christmas that I really enjoyed. It is written by Mike Veeck and is entitled, "Fun Is Good: How to Create Joy and Passion in Your Workplace and Career". For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you can see it on the virtual bookshelf I have recently started of the books that I am reading.
Taking the philosophy to heart, I looked for a way to keep our students entertained while waiting in line to sign-up for a room for next year as a part of our housing sign-up process. I asked a resident of mine who does some professional DJing to set-up his equipment and have a little dance party for the people who were waiting. Not only was it entertaining, but the lines have moved faster than in previous years (there has to be a psychology paper on this somewhere) but my resident got to promote his services to potential clubs, organizations, or for future weddings.
My song requests for the evening included: "The Waiting" and "I fight authority (authority always wins)" to be funny and "Hey-yah" and "Livin' on a prayer" just for fun. Unfortunately, he did not have any Manilow.
The picture below shows my joint roles as officiant (as evidenced by the stripped shirt) and MC (as evidenced by the microphone). Similar to my Dodgeball post... I get paid to do this? :)
1 comment:
No Manilow? Well, I am comforted in knowing that you MUST have had a least a few Beatles tunes.
Post a Comment