Sunday, March 04, 2007

OPE

Hal writes:

This past weekend was the Oshkosh Placement Exchange. Held at UW-Oshkosh, this event is a large residence life job fair where employers and candidates come from all over the U.S. to hold interviews. Although I wasn't part of the interview team, I went up on Saturday to see friends and help support the interview team. On Saturday night there is a large social that everyone attends and is a great opportunities to catch up with old friends. Just prior to that event, our school holds a social for candidates who interview with us as well as alums of our housing programs to stop by.

It was so great to see friends at the socials. What a great opportunity to catch up with people and tell them what you have been up to. It's like going to a class reunion and the only people who showed up were the ones you wanted to see. I was able to spend some time with Jim. In addition to him allowing me to crash on his couch and went to church this morning with him and his fiance Christa (I'm an usher in their wedding this summer). The friend who came from the farthest distance would be Rachael (former Wartburg coworker) who is now at Eastern Carolina University. Also said hi to WIU classmates Michelle, Craig and Angie. Former students of mine now involved in student affairs attending included Julie, Ben, and Jenni. And there were a host of other people that I have crossed paths with at other points in my life (it's a small student affairs world after all) that I got to share some hugs and brief life updates with.


Recently Two Harbors created a new 6-12 high school. The school board has been trying to sell the "old" high school (where my siblings and I graduated from and my parents worked at for many years). But after two years of nobody seriously interested, the decision has been made to demolish the high school. True, it does look like a jail and there is enough asbestos in the walls to warrant a number of hazard signs when they knock it down, but it still holds a lot of memories for many people. I'm hoping to see the school one more time before it is taken out. Perhaps I can get a brick or some other souvenir when it gets taken down. I was trying to find a picture of the school on the Internet, but could only find the logo. But, I did find the all time best THHS boys track and field records. You can look for my name in the 400, 4x400, and 4x800 results.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey! I was reminiscing last night after work, and wanted to tell you that you guys are great and I love you! I feel like I have met a million people through all my travels, but some really stick out! Have a beautiful day!