Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Anna's Study Nest

Hal writes:

In the guest bedroom/office of our apartment, Anna has been using the top bunk of the bunk beds as her study nest. Here she spends hours on end learning Physical Therapy, but if the opportunity presents itself, she could also use the area for a nap. My observations have been 15 minutes of studying, 20 minutes of napping, and then hours of studying. I took the picture below a few minutes ago.

*cough, cough* How did I survive the winter without being sick and then catch a cold yesterday when it was 77 degrees? Crazy. Tomorrow looks to be a fun filled day. It starts at 6:45am with the Chancellor's Breakfast. I have been invited to assist with facilitating dialogue with student leaders on campus. It makes for an early morning, but the catered "Executive Breakfast" features a "California Juice Bar, fresh fruit, assorted pastries, cinnamon french toast, scrambled eggs, country style potatoes, bacon/sausage, English muffins and bagels with assorted jellies/jams/cream cheese, and beverages". Then later in the morning classes are cancelled for our Distinguished Lecturer Paul Rusesabagina, the man who's story inspired the move Hotel Rwanda. All this before noon!

So, in that last paragraph I created a link for Mr. Rusesabaina that takes you to a Wikipedia site. I was reading a question and answer session in Time magazine with the creator of Wikipedia, Jimmy Wales. A student asks, "How can I convince my teachers to allow me to use Wikipedia as a legitimate research source?" I really enjoy his answer:

I would agree with your teachers that that isn't the right way to use Wikipedia. The site is a wonderful starting point for research. But it's only a starting point because there's always a chance that there's something wrong, and you should check your sources if you are writing a paper.

I appreciate the information that is available online, but unfortunately we don't always teach students on how to evaluate information. I can't wait to use this quote in my Intro to College Life Class next fall.

I asked Anna if she would like to share with you how much she is enjoying studying Ortho. Here is her response:

2 comments:

Jeff and Heidi said...

I agree - being sick stinks! I also got sick on warm days :-( I also completely agree with Anna on studying!
~Heidi

Kristine said...

She really does love it. Sorry you're sick, Hal! I am too... in 80 degree weather. Blech. Feel better - tell us about the Hotel Rwanda movie guy. Sounds fun.