Friday, October 06, 2006

Thus begins Homecoming

Hal writes:

This week has flown by and Homecoming preparations are underway. I have a group of 10 students that is determined that Southwest Hall enter every event and have huge participation in the activities. But, without the enthusiasm of first year students, I don't know how well that will happen. The homecoming coordinator for Southwest sent me a few e-mails between 10pm - 11pm concerned that people were not signing up for events. Today is the last day to turn in entry forms. To see what fun and games are played at UWP, click here for the Homecoming website.

Yesterday the Homecoming group sat in the lobby asking residents to participate in events. Nobody was really interested. Some went so far as to yell out their window to their friends to enter the building through a side entrance to avoid being asked to participate. I don't know why there is this mentality among college students. College students today don't want to commit to anything except a few minutes before an event. It is so hard for groups and organizations to plan things because nobody shows an interest. The easier route for students is to be in their room, IMing and using Facebook to keep in touch with high school friends (or watching tv, surfing the internet, checking e-mail) instead of experiencing college. If I were to design a residence hall, I would have a switch that could turn of the internet, another switch to turn off the cable and a powerful device that would dampen all cell phone coverage. Then students might interact with those around them and develop some real community along with communications skills.

I'll let you know how many events we actually sign up for. We are also selling a lime green t-shirt that has navy writing. On the front is a "SW" inside a superman shaped logo, and on the back is "UWP Homecoming 2006". If you want one for $10 let me know.

1 comment:

Jim Droste said...

When you create this hall, let me know. I would love to be your assistant residence hall director ;).