Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Ask the R.D.

Hal writes:

The basic premise of my position is to be a resource to the students in my building. With 380 students, there is more than enough concerns going on that I could be helping with. The problem is, students don't want to come and talk with me. There is a stigma associated with talking to an "adult figure" (even though I still look like I'm 17) that prevents most students from coming to see me unless I request it (i.e.: policy violation that leads to a conduct meeting).

As the RD of a new hall, there are a number of times when I want to inform my residents as to what is going on. For a generation of students that is so connected (through cell phones, internet, etc.) it's hard to believe that I have a difficulty reaching them. Here are some methods to communicate with residents and why they don't work:

E-mail: The administration (aka "the man") does not want to empower [full time, professional] hall directors with the ability to e-mail all of the residents of his or her building at one time. If I wanted to e-mail students, I would have to do so individually.

Bulletin Boards: Students don't want to take the time to read any information posted. Don't waste your time spending money on photocopies. If they can't receive all of the information without having to stop, they won't read it.

Phone: Students have cell phones, most of them with long distance numbers (when I call from my office). Students don't use the phone in their room any more.

Mailboxes: Students don't check mail frequently (if at all). Doing a mailbox stuffer is not effective because those who do check their box through the information away.

Facebook: Here was my brilliant attempt to try and get all my residents to join a facebook group committed to my hall. Initially, I only invited my RAs to join to give it a test drive for giving out information. Well, before I could invite any of my residents, the word was out that Hal was trying to find pictures of people consuming alcohol, so don't join the group. (Side note: I can view profiles whether or not they join a group I am a part of and, secondly, RDs at UWP don't go looking for incriminating photos.) So, that idea ended before it really began.

Instant Messenger: The administration does not allow RDs to have instant messaging programs on their computers. Long story. Grrrr...

Going door to door: It is diffcult to find a time when all four suitemates are all in the suite together. And they don't pass along information to each other.

Here is my latest attempt. It's my "Ask the R.D." bulletin board just outside my office. The idea is when there is a question that a number of students are asking, I post it on the board, with the answer, for them to view. A photo of the initial board is located below.


I'll let you know if I get any more questions or positive feedback on this attempt at communicating with students. Other RDs have any ideas about other ways to reach residents?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to use Instant Messaging, you can use GMail -- Google Talk is available through your web browser. It's probably not blocked in any way.

Anonymous said...

I am anxious to see how your bulletin board works out.

Lately I have been taking dry erase markers and writing on the front door - they basically have to run right into it before they enter the building. I only leave it up for 12 hours - but it has worked pretty well.

-Molly