Sunday, September 09, 2007

Anna projects and Dairy Days

Hal writes:

What has Anna been up to? Well, she's been trying to get over the cold that I passed on to her, but there are things more exciting than that. This semester (her last of course work) she only has class Monday-Thursdays and in addition to her 3-day weekends, finds herself with not as much homework. So, as is typical during times of slowness for her, she bakes. Pictured below are some fall cookies (leaf and acorn shapes) that she made for her classmates.

Anna is also near completion on her first quilt. It started out as a lap quilt, but it continued to grow until it was Queen size. The final stage is to get a professional to stitch the back side. Pictured below is me holding the quilt. I'll be curious to hear about my quilt holding techniques from my father who has held up many of my mothers quilts for pictures. I think I got the index finger right, but I might get a few points deduction for my head peaking over the top. And yes, I am smiling in the photo.
This Saturday was an outside day for me. So far today (Sunday) I have managed to enjoy football and do all the laundry. (It's the compromise that I have worked out with Anna, that I get to watch as much football as I want as long as I do all the laundry.) I'll give some fantasy football updates in a later post.
Saturday was first spent going for a run with Anna. While she worked at the coffee shop in the afternoon, I joined RDs Trapper and Coree at the university's football game. Not only was I able to tell my football players I saw them in action, but I can also say the same for the marching band, flag core, and cheerleaders who live in my building.
After the football game we went to Dairy Days. Think county fair in nature, except centered strictly around the dairy aspect. (Down here, county fairs are held in late July or early August, which is different than where I cam from.) The photo below is the "big tent" and the afternoon's entertainment included a hypnotist.

Among the typical fair food, there were some Wisconsin twists. John had a Chedderwurst Corn Dog. Trapper and Coree are pictured below with the favorite of Dairy Days, the Fried Cheese Curds sold by the Optimist Club.


I had a bet that I could name three things that would be found at the flea market: coke memorabilia, bang snaps (those fireworks that you throw and the ground for a pop), and toy nunchucks. I only found two out of three, but since you can sell fireworks in WI all year round, it made sense that bang snaps were not as hot of an item as when I was growing up. There was not an official Dairy Days sign, so I had my photo taken with a poster of Dairy Days.


Later we swung by a historical encampment at the edge of town. These people pitch tents, dress in Civil War era clothing, and camp the weekend. In the group are woodcarvers and other people that have an expertise in a certain craft that are on display.

No comments: